75-year-old Asian man critically injured in assault on Oakland; Suspect Charged with Homicide – CBS San Francisco

OAKLAND (CBS SF) – The 75-year-old Asian man who was brain-dead in an attack and robbery in Oakland earlier this week has died and the suspect in the case is now facing charges of murder in special circumstances and additional crime charges suspended authorities.

TO UPDATE: Second suspect arrested in fatal attack on Oakland and robbery of a 75-year-old Asian man

A statement from the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office confirmed that the Tuesday attack victim, identified as a 75-year-old Oakland resident, Pak Ho, died shortly before 1 p.m. on Thursday afternoon

Oakland attack victim Pak Ho (CBS)

Carl Chan, president of the Oakland Chinatown Chamber of Commerce, also told KPIX 5 on Thursday afternoon that the victim had passed away.

ALSO READ: Officials in San Francisco condemn anti-Asian violence after fatal attack

“Words fail me,” said Oakland Police Chief LeRonne L. Armstrong in a statement on the case. “Our elders should be protected, not victims of a lethal attack. I am grateful that our officers were quick to respond and arrest Mr. Bailey. The Oakland Police Department will relentlessly pursue those who harm the most vulnerable members of our community. “

The attack occurred just before 7 a.m. Tuesday morning at the intersection of Jayne Avenue and Perkins Street, not far from Lake Merritt.

Teaunte Bailey

Teaunte Bailey. (Photo: Alameda County Sheriff’s Office)

Law enforcement sources confirmed to KPIX on Wednesday that the suspect arrested in the case was Teaunte Bailey, 26, from Oakland.

According to the prosecutor, the suspect hit Ho with a closed fist during the robbery, causing the victim to fall. Ho’s head hit the concrete sidewalk, and he suffered a traumatic head injury and brain damage.

Bailey boarded a vehicle and fled the scene after the robbery and robbery. The police were later able to identify the suspected vehicle using surveillance video and electronic surveillance. The vehicle was found by Oakland police later Tuesday and was still manned by a person who was later identified as Bailey.

When officers tried to stop an execution, the suspect escaped in the vehicle, drove recklessly and put the public at risk as police followed suit. Bailey was eventually arrested and found with items he had taken from Ho. He also carried a GPS ankle monitor that placed him at the site of the attack.

Alameda County Prosecutor Nancy O’Malley on Thursday filed charges of murder in special circumstances against Bailey, as well as several serious criminal charges related to crimes committed in Oakland on two separate days.

According to prosecutors, Bailey is also charged with robbery and assault on February 19 in Oakland. Authorities alleged Bailey broke into a senior citizen’s home, forcibly pushed a 72-year-old victim, stole his cell phone and stole numerous items from the house.

The criminal complaint charges Bailey with murder in special circumstances and specific allegations, including crimes against elders and crimes committed on bail or personal credit.

Bailey had to answer for robbery after a preliminary hearing in the San Francisco Superior Court on February 8, but was released from home custody. He has also suffered several previous convictions for serious felony charges, as alleged in the lawsuit.

On Wednesday, KPIX learned that Bailey had been arrested by San Francisco police after a persecution last April.

San Francisco police documents confirmed that Bailey was arrested on April 4, 2020 along with another robbery suspect, 24-year-old Oakland-based Melissa Taylor.

In this case, Bailey and Taylor fled a robbery and were chased onto the Bay Bridge by San Francisco police, forcing authorities to briefly halt traffic on the span at one point. When the two were taken into custody on Treasure Island, an infant was found in their vehicle.

At the time of this arrest, Bailey was charged with the crime of robbery, conspiracy, possession of stolen property, parole violation, child endangerment and multiple destruction of evidence.

KPIX 5 questioned San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin during a press conference Thursday on Bailey’s case, on which Boudin and other city officials took a stand against the recent violence against residents of the Asian and Asian-American Bay Area.

“The case against Mr. Bailey in San Francisco, the only case ever brought against him, was brought under my direction. It was a very weak case from an evidential point of view. We detained him in the San Francisco County Jail for 179 days, and given the evidence, we couldn’t legally or in good conscience detain him any longer because of this weak evidence and his very small role in a very serious crime, ”said Boudindin.

Bailey has pleaded guilty on a lesser charge, not robbery, but has not yet been convicted of that crime.

Comments are closed.